In the Astronomy and Planetary Science course from The Open University UK you’ll investigate the stars and their life cycles; the structure of planets and their atmospheres; galaxies and quasars; space exploration; planetary processes; and the origin and evolution of the Universe – including how it might continue to evolve in the future.
Key features of the course
- Develops skills of reason and logic that are highly prized in the workplace
- Builds a solid foundation for further study
We make all our qualifications as accessible as possible and have a comprehensive range of services to support all our students. The Certificate in Astronomy and Planetary Science uses a variety of study materials and has the following elements:
- studying a mixture of printed and online material – online learning resources may include websites, audio/video media clips, and interactive activities such as online quizzes
- using mathematical and scientific expressions, notations and associated techniques
- using and/or producing diagrams and/or screenshots.
All qualifications require you to complete learning and assessment activities within a required timescale and according to pre-determined deadlines. You will therefore need to manage your time effectively during your studies and the University will help you to develop this skill throughout your degree. Information on assessment will be available to you at the start of each module.
The specialist knowledge and understanding you’ll gain by studying this certificate are particularly applicable to areas such as research and investigation, data analysis, public information, scientific journalism and education. Science is a shortage subject at secondary school level, so there may be incentives to train as a physics, chemistry or maths teacher.
People with science qualifications are in demand in the jobs market, particularly if they also have good interpersonal skills and some workplace experience. The logical, reasoned approach needed for science study is relevant to a wide range of financial, business and public sector employment.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
This qualification develops your learning in four main areas:
- Knowledge and understanding
- Cognitive skills
- Practical and professional skills
- Key skills
The level and depth of your learning gradually increases as you work through the qualification. You’ll be supported throughout by the OU’s unique style of teaching and assessment – which includes a personal tutor to guide and comment on your work; top quality course texts; elearning resources like podcasts, interactive media and online materials; tutorial groups and community forums.
Check out the full curriculumVisit official programme website
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesPhysics Astronomy & Space Sciences View 12 other Short Courses in Physics in United Kingdom
Explore more key informationVisit official programme website
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
We are not aware of any English requirements for this programme.
- There are no formal entry requirements to study this qualification. However, this module starts at OU level 2 – it’s essential you have adequate study skills, such as gained from OU level 1 study or equivalent, before you start. Having studied physics and maths to A-level standard and/or Physics and space (SM123) would significantly improve your readiness to start this certificate.
- The booklets Are You Ready For S284? and Are You Ready For S283? will help you decide whether you already have the recommended background knowledge or experience to start the qualification or you need some extra preparation.
Make sure you meet all requirementsVisit official programme website
International6336 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 6336 GBP for the full programme during 12 months.
National6336 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 6336 GBP for the full programme during 12 months.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Double-check all feesVisit official programme website
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.