In order to be admitted to the Clinical Mental Health Counseling program at Long Island University (LIU), students must have a master's degree in school counseling or other related counseling degree and specified core educational content areas as delineated in the state regulations for mental health counselor licensure.
- Individuals must have a minimum of 60 graduate credits and in designated curriculum areas to qualify for licensure.
- Depending on the number of credits in their master's degree program candidates may be required to take additional coursework from 18-24 credits to ensure meeting the state requirements of a minimum of 60 graduate credits.
The Advanced Certificate program is not CACREP accredited as CACREP does not accredit advanced certificate programs. Only's master's degree and doctoral degree programs are accredited by CACREP. The Advanced Certificate program is approved by the NYSED, Office of the Professions as a licensure-qualifying program.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
Programme StructureCourses include:
- Foundations of Clinical Mental Health Counseling and Ethic
- Diagnostic Interviewing and Assessment in Clinical Mental Health Counseling
- Psychopathology for the Professional Counselor
- Evidence Based Treatment Planning in Clinical Mental Health Counseling
- Diversity and Socio-Cultural Issues in Counseling
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
DisciplinesPublic Health Clinical Psychology View 9 other Short Courses in Clinical Psychology in United States
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
We are not aware of any English requirements for this programme.
- Application for Admission
- Application fee: $50 (non-refundable)
- Official copies of graduate transcripts from any college(s) or universities you have attended.
- Applicants must have graduated in good standing with an M.S. in School Counseling or related counseling degree from an accredited institution of higher learning with a minimum of 48 credits in specified core educational content areas as required by New York State mental health counselor licensure. Applicants with a master's degree in school counseling, or other related counseling degree of less than 48 credits will be required to take additional coursework beyond the 15 credits to earn the advanced certificate.
- Personal Statement that addresses the reason you are interested in pursuing graduate work in this area of study.
Living costs for New York City
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last year
Check the official programme website for potential updates.