The Public Library Administrator's Certificate program from Long Island University (LIU) consists of five courses that carry graduate academic credit and culminate in an Advanced Certificate in Public Library Administration, recognized by the New York State Education Department.
- The growing complexity of public institutions has forced governing boards to become far more selective in choosing their administrators.
- A working understanding of the law, human resources, finance and facilities is now a fundamental requirement for public library administrators as directors or middle managers. T
- he certificate program of the Palmer Institute covers all content areas required in the New York State Public Library Director civil service examination series.
- The program has been recognized by the New York State Education Department as a formally approved N.Y.S. Certificate of Advanced Studies.
The Palmer School’s M.S. in Library and Information Science is one of only 62 programs accredited by the American Library Association in the United States and Canada. Graduating from an ALA-accredited program enhances career mobility by opening doors to the broadest range of job opportunities.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
The Advanced Certificate in Public Library Administration encompasses five required courses.
- Principles of Public Library Organization and Management
- LegalIssus in Public Library Administration
- Human Resources Administration in the Public Library
- Financial Management of Public Libraries
- Administration of Public Library Facilities and Technology
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
DisciplinesPublic Administration View 9 other Short Courses in Public Administration in United States
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
We are not aware of any English requirements for this programme.
- Entrance to the Certificate of Advanced Studies in Public Library Administration is limited to working professionals who either hold, or aspire to, executive management positions in public libraries.
- All applicants should hold a relevant master’s degree (the Master of Science in Library and Information Science – M.S.L.I.S.) and a minimum of two years experience in public libraries.
Living costs for New York City
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last year
Check the official programme website for potential updates.