Universidad de los Andes was founded on November 16th, 1948 by a group of young men under theleadership of Mario Laserna Pinzón. It was the first private higher education institution in Colombia that was nondenominational and independent from traditional political parties, as well as from social or economic power groups.
Universidad de los Andes has nine schools: Business Administration, Architecture and Design, Arts and Humanities, Science, Social Sciences, Law, Economics, Engineering, and Medicine. It also has two centers that offer postgraduate programs: the Center for Research and Development in Education (CIFE) and an Interdisciplinary Center for Studies on Development (CIDER). Likewise, Universidad de los Andes has the first private school for public affairs, The Alberto Lleras Camargo School of Government, a tribute to a former president of Colombia, Secretary General of the Organization of American States (OAS),and also a former president of our university.
There are 140 categorized/ranked research groups. The categorization or ranking is done by Colciencias (Colombia´s Administrative Department of Science, Technology and Innovation- . Of these 140 groups, 41 have been classified as A1 (in 2008, only eight groups were ranked in this group).There are 163 laboratories for research and learning. Of these, 73 can be found in the School of Sciences, and 56 in the School of Engineering.
1.849 Computers in public areas 17 computer rooms (1.029 computers) Mobile equipment (820 computers) Student rental equipment (87 computers).
The university's campus is in Bogota's historical centre, an area that houses most of the city’s buildings of cultural interest, universities, banks and large Colombian companies, the main offices of the national and local government, and a variety of cultural meeting places such as libraries, museums, theatres, scientific and literary centres, and art galleries.Also on campus are:
There are 34 different sports disciplines in Physical Education. These include 15 university teams for tournaments and competitions, and others for free practice. In 2013-2 there were 2.229 students enrolled in these courses. The Sports Center has 6.626 square meters of construction.