- #301 Ranking
- Public Institution Type
NPU was originally established as the State Northwest Institute of Engineering in Hanzhong in 1938. The Institute was an amalgamation of Beiyang Institute of Engineering, the Engineering College of Peking University, the Engineering College of Northeast University and Jiaozuo Institute of Engineering. The Institute moved to Xianyang, and was renamed the Northwest Institute of Engineering in 1950.
NPU comprises two campuses covering a total area of 5,100 acres.There are 16 academic schools offering 65 undergraduate programs, 120 postgraduate programs, 71 doctoral programs, and 17 postdoctoral programs. It currently has 22 disciplines at Doctoral level and 32 disciplines at Masters level, and 2 National Demonstration Base for International Technology Cooperation, 1 National Key Laboratory, 6 Key State Laboratories, 3 State Engineering Centers, 38 Provincial Key Labs and 20 Provincial Engineering Research Centers. The total student population of 26,093 includes 3,625 Doctoral students, 8,017 Masters students, 14,451 undergraduates and 1,326 overseas students.
Since 11thFive-year-Plan the university has undertaken over 10,000 research projects, including state key projects, weapons and equipment model projects, national defense research and pre-research plans, State 863 and 973 plans, NSFC projects etc. Research funding has increased each year to make NPU one of the leading research universities in China. During this period the university has won 328 national and provincial science and technology awards, including 3 Second Prizes in the State Natural Science Awards, 9 Second Prizes in the State Technological Invention Awards, 3 First and 9 Second Prizes in the National Science and Technology Progress Awards, together with 184 National Defense Technology Awards.
Since its foundation NPU has graduated 180,000 talents for work in national defense and the economy, including 5,600 Doctors and 34,700 Masters. 34 Doctors or teachers were admitted to the Hundborg Foundation. Among NPU’s alumni 45 are Academicians of the CAE or CAS, 46 have the rank of General while 6 have been recognized as “China’s Ten Outstanding Youth”. A large number of alumni have gone on to play leading roles in the fields of research and manufacturing.
The Alumni Association of Northwestern Polytechnical University (NPU) is dedicated to build a network among the alumni around the world, as a bridge between the university and the alumni, providing a wide range of opportunities, services and resources. NPU Alumni Association was formally founded in September 2003, approved by the Bureau of Shaanxi Provincial Civil Affairs.
The NPU library was established by combining the library of the former Northwest Institute of Engineering with that of the former Xi'an Institute of Aeronautics. In 1956, the library was moved from Nanjing to Xi'an. In 1970, the Department of Aeronautics of Harbin Institute of Military Engineering joined with NPU along with its books.