Much emphasis is placed on sharing knowledge and experiences, trying out new techniques and strategies, practicing with an actor and discussing other related issues to supervision. Another key element of these Professional in Supervision workshops at the Wageningen University and Research is the peer coaching meeting between day 2 and day 3 where the participants handle several real life practical cases.
WGS organizes this workshop because:
- Supervision is a crucial factor in the success and duration of a PhD project.
- The PhD duration needs to be brought back to 4 years while keeping the quality at a high level and as such the urge for good supervision has increased.
- Supervisors themselves indicate a need in support to improve / strengthen their supervision skills given the developments within the scientific arena.
Specific goals of the workshop:
- After the Personal Intake (see programme below for specifics) the supervisor will be able to formulate his/her personal goals of learning and development
- Supervisors will share knowhow and experiences with colleagues and learn from these experiences
- Supervisors are aware of their own style of supervision, the strengths and possible pitfalls and how to deal with them
- Supervisors will make optimal use of their own capacities and those of others
- Supervisors will be able to apply various communication techniques
- Supervisors will practise the essential components of writing and coaching on this matter
- Supervisors will recognize different “types of PhD candidates” and subsequently learn how to apply various coaching styles
- Supervisors will learn their role and responsibility with regard to the research project (planning, focus and monitoring)
The participants will be introduced to 4 phases and 4 ribbons.
The course is build up in 4 consecutive phases:
- Selection the PhD candidate (before the WUR gate)
- Road to Project Proposal and Go / No Go decision
- On-going business (incl. annual evaluation)
- Last legs of road to finalize the PhD
These are important items that continuously play a vital role during the entire PhD supervision. These ribbons are intertwined in the course as:
- Effective Interaction (communication)
- Role and expectations of PhD and SV during supervision process towards independence
- Culture, Character, Competences during the 4 phases
- Writing moments, styles and moments
Programme StructureThe Programme consists of three parts:
- Part 1: Personal Meeting - Before the workshop starts each participant will have a personal meeting with the consultants.
- PART 2: Day 1 & 2 of the supervisory workshops - The exact programme of the workshops will be based on the outcome of the Personal Intakes. The focus of the supervisory workshops will be on two different levels: (A) awareness & recognition and (B) training and sharing skills.
- PART 3: Day 3 of supervisory workshops - Four weeks after day 2, the third day is organised where the toolbox of the supervisors will become more taylor-made.
- 3 days
Start dates & application deadlines
- StartingApply anytime.
- StartingApply anytime.
DisciplinesArea & Cultural Studies Management Studies View 28 other Short Courses in Management Studies in Netherlands
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
We are not aware of any English requirements for this programme.
- Staff members (Full, Associate and Assistant Professors) of Wageningen UR who are member of one of the Wageningen Graduate Schools and who are supervising PhD candidates. Participants should have at least half a year experience in supervising PhDs
International2500 EUR/fullTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 2500 EUR for the full programme during 3 days.
EU/EEA2500 EUR/fullTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 2500 EUR for the full programme during 3 days.
- Supervisors who are member of a Wageningen Graduate School: € 650
- All other Wageningen University postdocs and staff: € 1500
- All other participants: € 2500
Living costs for Wageningen
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.