This 5 day Curating Contemporary Art course at the University of the Arts London (UAL) will start by giving you an overview of the history of curating and 21st century curatorial developments. We will survey the main trends, institutions and concerns of contemporary curatorial practices. We will also visit exhibitions in London, from DIY project spaces to established museums.
The course will also provide you with important practical information about funding, promotion, installation and other professional aspects of curating. Then we'll move you on to building your practical skills by encouraging you to devise exhibition themes and proposals.
Don't miss your chance to gain valuable and practical insights into curating contemporary art in both gallery and alternative spaces.
Course OutcomesIt could mean moving on to curatorial projects, assistantships, partnerships or internships in the future.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- A history of curating: Lecture on curatorial roles and histories.
- Translating ideas into proposals.
- Curatorial roles and working methods
- Context and mediation.
- Resources for curators.
- Gallery Visit
- EXHIBITION: Contextualising your practice.
- Taking your proposals to the next stage, context and intention.
- Publicity and the press release.
- Partnerships, funding, timetables and calculating budgets.
- Pitching your project: how to present ideas.
Anyone with an interest in curating exhibitions of contemporary art. You may be looking to make proposals to venues, apply for gallery internships, follow a career in arts administration or apply for a BA or MA degree in Curating.
- 4 days
Start dates & application deadlines
- StartingApply anytime.
DisciplinesVisual Arts Art History Liberal Arts View 14 other Short Courses in Liberal Arts in United Kingdom
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
We are not aware of any English requirements for this programme.
Who Should Attend
- Anyone with an interest in curating exhibitions of contemporary art. You may be looking to make proposals to venues, apply for gallery internships, follow a career in arts administration or apply for a BA or MA degree in Curating.
Course Level: Beginner
International675 GBP/fullTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 675 GBP for the full programme during 4 days.
EU/EEA675 GBP/fullTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 675 GBP for the full programme during 4 days.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last 9 months
Check the official programme website for potential updates.