Choosing an appropriate study design is a critical decision that can largely determine whether your study will successfully answer your research question. A quick look at the contents page of a biomedical journal or even at the health news section of a news website is enough to tell you that there are many different ways to conduct epidemiological research.
In this Study Designs in Epidemiology offered by Coursera in partnership with Imperial College London, you will learn about the main epidemiological study designs, including cross-sectional and ecological studies, case-control and cohort studies, as well as the more complex nested case-control and case-cohort designs.
The final module is dedicated to randomised controlled trials, which is often considered the optimal study design, especially in clinical research. You will also develop the skills to identify strengths and limitations of the various study designs. By the end of this course, you will be able to choose the most suitable study design considering the research question, the available time, and resources.
What you will learn
- Compare and contrast different epidemiological study designs in order to describe their strengths and weaknesses.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Introduction to Study Designs: Ecological and Cross-Sectional Studies
- Case Control Studies
- Cohort Studies and Nested Studies
- Randomised Controlled Trials
More Details on Coursera Plus:
- Learn Anything: Explore any interest or trending topic, take prerequisites, and advance your skills
- Save money: Spend less money on your learning if you plan to take multiple courses this year
- Flexible Learning: Learn at your own pace, move between multiple courses, or switch to a different course
- Unlimited Certificates: Earn a certificate for every learning program that you complete at no additional cost
Check out the full curriculumVisit official programme website
- 1 months
Start dates & application deadlines
DisciplinesPublic Health Health Sciences View 161 other Short Courses in Health Sciences in United States
Explore more key informationVisit official programme website
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
We are not aware of any English requirements for this programme.
- A background in health sciences or/and quantitative methods would be useful, but not essential.
Make sure you meet all requirementsVisit official programme website
InternationalFreeTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 0 USD for the full programme during 1 months.
NationalFreeTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 0 USD for the full programme during 1 months.
You can choose from hundreds of free courses, or get a degree or certificate at a breakthrough price. You can now select Coursera Plus, an annual subscription that provides unlimited access.
Coursera provides financial aid to learners who cannot afford the fee. Apply for it by clicking on the Financial Aid link beneath the "Enroll" button on the left. You'll be prompted to complete an application and will be notified if you are approved. You'll need to complete this step for each course in the Specialization, including the Capstone Project.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Double-check all feesVisit official programme website
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.