Optical instruments are how we see the world, from corrective eyewear to medical endoscopes to cell phone cameras to orbiting telescopes. This Optical Engineering offered by Coursera in partnership with University of Colorado Boulder will teach you how to design such optical systems with simple graphical techniques, then transform those pencil and paper designs to include real optical components including lenses, diffraction gratings and prisms. You will learn how to enter these designs into an industry-standard design tool, OpticStudio by Zemax, to analyze and improve performance with powerful automatic optimization methods.
What you will learn
- Specify an optical system and potential solutions to meet those specs
- Transform layouts into optical designs including real optical components
- Analyze you designs in an industry standard optical design code, OpticStudio by Zemax, to validate and optimize the design
- be able to design, to first order, such optical systems with simple mathematical and graphical techniques
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- First Order Optical System Design
- Optical Efficiency and Resolution
- Design of High-Performance Optical Systems
Check out the full curriculumVisit official programme website
- 4 months
Start dates & application deadlines
DisciplinesBio & Biomedical Engineering Human Medicine General Engineering & Technology View 70 other Short Courses in General Engineering & Technology in United States
Explore more key informationVisit official programme website
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
We are not aware of any English requirements for this programme.
- Some undergraduate math and physics, along with some basics of electrical engineering
Make sure you meet all requirementsVisit official programme website
InternationalFreeTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 0 USD for the full programme during 4 months.
NationalFreeTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 0 USD for the full programme during 4 months.
Coursera provides financial aid to learners who cannot afford the fee. Apply for it by clicking on the Financial Aid link beneath the "Enroll" button on the left. You'll be prompted to complete an application and will be notified if you are approved. You'll need to complete this step for each course in the Specialization, including the Capstone Project.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Double-check all feesVisit official programme website
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.