You’ll frame your online safety in the context of the wider world, introducing concepts like malware, viruses, trojans, network security, cryptography, identity theft and risk management.
By the end of the Introduction to Cyber Security course from The Open University by FutureLearn , you'll be able to:
- Explain basic cyber security terminology; have skills for keeping up to date on cyber security issues; and be able to identify information assets.
- Describe basic authentication mechanisms; have skills to improve their password security; and be aware of alternative authentication methods.
- Identify main malware types; awareness of different malware propagation methods; and skills for preventing malware infections.
- Describe cryptography terminology; be able to use cryptography for email; be aware of applications of cryptography.
- Demonstrate understanding of firewalls, virtual private networks and network intrusion detection and prevention technologies.
- Describe legal and regulatory issues relating to cyber security; and understand how to recover from security failures.
- Apply basic risk analysis and management techniques.
- GCHQ Certified Training
- APMG International
- The Institute of Information Security Professionals
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
Programme StructureWhat topics will you cover?
- Threat landscape: terminology, cyber security threats, keeping up to date
- Authentication: access control, passwords, two-factor authentication
- Malware: types of malware, attack vectors, preventing infection
- Networking and communications: fundamentals, security challenges, standards
- Cryptography: symmetric and asymmetric cryptography, applications
- Network security: firewalls, virtual private networks, intrusion detection / prevention
- When your defences fail: cyber security laws, recovering from attacks
- Managing security risks: risk analysis and management
Check out the full curriculumVisit official programme website
- 2 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- StartingApply anytime.
- No Attendance
- Proactive tutoring and support
- Individual work/assignments (with online group discussions)
DisciplinesInformatics & Information Sciences IT Security Cyber Security View 47 other Short Courses in Informatics & Information Sciences in United Kingdom
Explore more key informationVisit official programme website
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
We are not aware of any English requirements for this programme.
It does not assume any prior knowledge of computer security and can be enjoyed by anyone interested in improving the security of their digital information.
Make sure you meet all requirementsVisit official programme website
InternationalFreeTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 0 USD per year during 2 months.
NationalFreeTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 0 USD per year during 2 months.
It's free to join and study this course, you have the option to upgrade and receive a digital and printed certificate for $84. Additional benefits can be reached via the Unlimited FutureLearn product.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Double-check all feesVisit official programme website
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.