On this online course, established writers – including Louis de Bernières, Patricia Duncker, Alex Garland, Abdulrazak Gurnah, Tim Pears, Michèle Roberts and Monique Roffey – will talk about how they started writing.
You’ll consider the rituals of writing and keeping a journal; learn how to develop your ideas; reflect on your own writing and editing; hear writers talk about their approach to research; and start turning events into plot.
You’ll also have the opportunity to review the work of fellow writers and receive comments on your own, learning to read as a writer and respond to feedback.
By the end of the Start Writing Fiction course from The Open University by FutureLearn , you'll be able to:
- Apply and learn to write fiction and generate stories by creating characters
- Investigate notions of writing from your experience and from research
- Explore using a writer’s notebook to develop ideas and increase observational awareness
- Identify and realise the importance of other authors and works to develop your skills in reading as a writer
- Develop your awareness of editing, in developing your vocabulary of style and presentation
- Identify and realise the importance of exchanging work and critical comment with fellow writers
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
Programme StructureWhat topics will you cover?
- Creation of characters in fiction
- Different sources for characters in stories
- Ways of presenting characters in stories
- Reading as a writer
- Writing practice, including creativity, research, observation and editing
- Peer reviewing, workshops and the importance of feedback
Check out the full curriculumVisit official programme website
- 2 months
Start dates & application deadlines
DisciplinesCreative Writing View 41 other Short Courses in Creative Writing in United Kingdom
Explore more key informationVisit official programme website
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
We are not aware of any English requirements for this programme.
This course is intended for those with an interest in starting to write fiction or improving their fiction writing, and does not require any previous experience of studying this subject.
Make sure you meet all requirementsVisit official programme website
InternationalFreeTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 0 USD for the full programme during 2 months.
NationalFreeTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 0 USD for the full programme during 2 months.
It's free to join and study this course, you have the option to upgrade and receive a digital and printed certificate for $59. Additional benefits can be reached via the Unlimited FutureLearn product.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Double-check all feesVisit official programme website
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.