Vocal coaches and music teachers have an important role in improving their students’ ability to sing or play an instrument. On this course, you will learn to assess your current teaching strategies and look at new ways to engage your students during their lessons.
This Becoming a Better Music Teacher course from ABRSM by FutureLearn will offer instrument-specific advice and resources as well as guidance on how to plan music lessons within a broader curriculum. You will gain the confidence to challenge your existing practices and identify weaknesses in your own teaching style in order to become a more effective music or singing teacher.
By the end of the course, you'll be able to:
- Reflect on and evaluate your journey to teaching so far
- Develop an understanding of a range of teaching and learning principles
- Compare teaching and learning principles and develop your own teaching philosophy
- Identify the core musical skills which need to be taught, considering how they inter-relate
- Evaluate your own instrumental technique and assess how you approach teaching technique to your pupils
- Explore the basis for motivation and how motivation is linked to progression
- Develop an understanding of the role of assessment in progression
- Assess your own teaching practice in the context of professional values and practice
- Design a broad, individual learning plan for pupils with reference to short term goals
- Engage with other teachers and contribute to discussion about professional development
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
Programme StructureWhat topics will you cover?
- Assess your current teaching
- Explore and evaluate teaching and learning principles
- Identify core musical skills
- Evaluate your own technique
- Develop a range of strategies for teaching technique
- Explore links between motivation and progression
- Increase your awareness of professional values and practice
- Design a curriculum and devise lesson plans
- Produce a personal development plan
Check out the full curriculumVisit official programme website
- 35 days
Start dates & application deadlines
- StartingApply anytime.
- No Attendance
- Proactive tutoring and support
- Individual work/assignments (with online group discussions)
DisciplinesMusic Music History Teaching View 7 other Short Courses in Music in United Kingdom
Explore more key informationVisit official programme website
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
We are not aware of any English requirements for this programme.
This course is for all music and instrument teachers and vocal coaches. It’s ideal for both private teachers as well as teachers working in schools, music trusts or music academies.
Make sure you meet all requirementsVisit official programme website
InternationalFreeTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 0 USD per year during 35 days.
NationalFreeTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 0 USD per year during 35 days.
It's free to join and study this course, you have the option to upgrade and receive a digital and printed certificate for $64. Additional benefits can be reached via the Unlimited FutureLearn product.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Double-check all feesVisit official programme website
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.