Too many patients die or suffer prolonged complications following surgery.
Perioperative medicine is an emerging, multi-disciplinary approach which seeks to optimise the care of high-risk surgical patients. It encompasses disciplines such as anaesthetics, surgery, nursing, elderly care, physiotherapy and healthcare management.
In this RCoA-endorsed course, developed by anaesthetists at University College London (UCL) Hospitals, you’ll learn the key concepts you need to improve patient safety and reduce healthcare costs.
By the end of the Perioperative Medicine in Action course from UCL by FutureLearn , you'll be able to:
- Justify the need for better, more holistic care for the high risk surgical patient, to improve outcomes and reduce healthcare costs.
- Engage with risk assessment tools to characterise and quantify the risk of an individual undergoing a particular procedure.
- Demonstrate the need for protocolised care pathways and evaluate the success of the enhanced recovery programmes in reducing variance in practice.
- Describe the major challenges in delivering perioperative medicine for the elderly.
- Discuss the current economic pressure on healthcare systems and how perioperative medicine can be used to reduce these pressures.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
What topics will you cover?
Week 1: The surgical epidemic
- Defining the high-risk surgical patient and the need to change the way we care for them
- An introduction to perioperative medicine and the Royal College of Anaesthetists vision for improved perioperative care
- New perioperative care pathways
- The role of risk assessment and risk assessment tools including cardiopulmonary exercise testing and risk scoring systems
- Shared decision-making: what it is, why it is so important and how to achieve it.
- The principles of enhanced recovery
- How healthcare professionals and patients can engage with protocols
- Protocols in the care of the emergency surgical patient
- The unique perioperative problems of the elderly
- How to improve perioperative care for the elderly
- The current economic climate and how perioperative medicine is the value proposition
Check out the full curriculumVisit official programme website
- 1 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- No Attendance
- Proactive tutoring and support
- Individual work/assignments (with online group discussions)
DisciplinesBiomedicine Human Medicine View 23 other Short Courses in Human Medicine in United Kingdom
Explore more key informationVisit official programme website
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
We are not aware of any English requirements for this programme.
- This RCoA endorsed course is aimed at all interested healthcare professionals, both medical and allied health professionals.
- This would include anaesthetists, surgeons, care-of-the-elderly physicians, pre-assessment nurses, surgical ward nurses, operating department staff, physiotherapists and medical managers, emphasising that enhanced care and improved outcomes depend on a multidisciplinary approach.
Make sure you meet all requirementsVisit official programme website
Additional benefits can be reached via the Unlimited FutureLearn product.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Double-check all feesVisit official programme website
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.