The safe management of a patient’s airway is one of the most challenging and complex tasks undertaken by a health professional - complications can result in devastating outcomes.
How can we improve safety, prevent complications, and be prepared to manage difficulties when they arise?
How, in a crisis, can we ensure that human and technical resources are best utilised?
The Airway Matters course from UCL by FutureLearn will provide answers to these key questions and help you develop strategies to improve patient safety in your area of practice, discussing safe airway management in patient groups and multidisciplinary clinical settings.
By the end of the course, you'll be able to:
- Improve your strategies to deal with the unexpected difficult airway and explore guidelines to use in special circumstances.
- Identify the key learning points and recommendations from the 4th National Audit Project (NAP4) on major complications of airway management in the UK.
- Apply the principles of multidisciplinary planning, communication and teamwork in shared airways interventions.
- Describe the technical and non-technical aspects of safe airway management for patients undergoing elective or emergency surgery, and the critically ill.
- Engage in a global discussion on airway matters with health professionals from around the world.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
What topics will you cover?
Week 1: Safe Airway Management, Human Factors and Ergonomics, Airway Anatomy
- Airway Safety: The Big Picture
- NAP4, Key Findings and Recommendations
- Human Factors and Ergonomics
- Anatomy: a Journey Through the Airways
- Assess the Airway and Develop a Strategy
- Airway Equipment
- Cognitive Tools
- Can’t Intubate, Can’t Oxygenate
- Rapid Sequence Induction
- The Obstructed Airway
- Special Techniques: Awake Tracheal Intubation, High-Flow Nasal Oxygenation, Jet Ventilation, LASER
- The Patient Journey
- Tracheostomies and Laryngectomies
- The Critically Ill Patient
- Prehospital Airway Management
- A Global Perspective
Check out the full curriculumVisit official programme website
- 35 days
Start dates & application deadlines
DisciplinesManagement Studies Human Medicine Complementary & Alternative Medicine View 201 other Short Courses in Management Studies in United Kingdom
Explore more key informationVisit official programme website
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
We are not aware of any English requirements for this programme.
Make sure to cover your health, travel, and stay while studying abroad. Even global coverages can miss important items, so make sure your student insurance ticks all the following:
- Additional medical costs (i.e. dental)
- Repatriation, if something happens to you or your family
- Home contents and baggage
- Legal aid
We partnered with Aon to provide you with the best affordable student insurance, for a carefree experience away from home.Get your student insurance now
Start from €0.53/day, free cancellation any time.
Remember, countries and universities may have specific insurance requirements. To learn more about how student insurance work at FutureLearn and/or in United Kingdom, please visit Student Insurance Portal.
- This course, endorsed by the Difficult Airway Society, is for all members of the multidisciplinary team who provide airway support to patients, or care for patients with a compromised airway.
- This includes anaesthetists, anaesthesia associates, operating department practitioners, nurses, physiotherapists, adult and paediatric intensivists, prehospital and emergency medicine physicians, paramedics, head and neck surgeons and members of the cardiac arrest team.
Make sure you meet all requirementsVisit official programme website
InternationalFreeTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 0 USD for the full programme during 35 days.
NationalFreeTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 0 USD for the full programme during 35 days.
It's free to join and study this course, you have the option to upgrade and receive a digital and printed certificate for $74. Additional benefits can be reached via the Unlimited FutureLearn product.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Double-check all feesVisit official programme website
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.