Both initial reading instruction and support for struggling readers will be discussed. This includes frameworks for early identification and intervention.
Over four 1.5-hour online seminars, you'll be introduced to the language basis of reading as well as key theories in learning to read. You'll also gain knowledge of evidence-informed instruction and support for use in your classroom, clinic or home.
Following each online session, you'll be able to access learning resources and practical tools to support you in applying the techniques learned in class.
This program is delivered by La Trobe University SOLAR Lab Directors; Professor Pamela Snow and Associate Professor Tanya Serry.
The Science of Language and Reading - An Introduction course at La Trobe University is designed for primary and secondary teachers but also targets allied health professionals and parents or grandparents who want to understand more about the science of language and reading as this pertains to initial reading instruction and support for struggling learners.
Topics covered will include:
- Oral language foundations as the basis for learning to read.
- The Simple View of Reading and how it informs and supports classroom practice with respect to decoding and language comprehension.
- An overview of different types of phonics instruction and their pros and cons
- 1 days
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
- Session 1: Monday 7 February
- Session 2: Monday 14 February
- Session 3: Monday 21 February
- Session 4: Monday 28 February
DisciplinesLanguage Studies Languages View 5 other Short Courses in Language Studies in Australia
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
We are not aware of any English requirements for this programme.
CRICOS Provider Code Number 00115M
- Broadband internet access and an active email address that can be accessed during study periods.
- Access to a device such as a computer or iPad during study periods.
- Basic computer literacy skills (e.g. Word or other word processing software).
- Participants are NOT required to have Zoom loaded on their computer.
International250 AUD/fullTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 250 AUD for the full programme during 1 days.
National250 AUD/fullTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 250 AUD for the full programme during 1 days.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.