This Exploring Everyday Chemistry course from University of York by FutureLearn explores a range of chemistry-based topics relating to our everyday lives, with an emphasis on the important role of organic chemistry – the study of carbon-containing organic compounds.
Activities include experimenting ‘in the kitchen’ with hands-on projects ranging from extracting a plant fragrance, to testing the activity of spices against microbes. The course will be particularly useful for sixth formers who are interested in developing independent learning skills to help the transition to university.
Use real-life examples to study organic compounds
During each week of the course, we will use real-life examples to show you how an understanding of the structure and shape of organic compounds can be used to explain their reactivity and properties.
What topics will you cover?
- Chemical attraction - perfumes and pheromones
- The race for new antibiotics
- Understanding brewing
- Chemistry in sport - innovations that are changing the game
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Week 1: The chemical attraction of perfumes and pheromones
- Week 2: The race for new antibiotics
- Week 3: The chemistry of brewing
- Week 4: The chemistry of sport
Check out the full curriculumVisit official programme website
- 30 days
- 5 hrs/week
Start dates & application deadlines
DisciplinesChemical Engineering Chemistry Biochemistry View 3 other Short Courses in Chemical Engineering in United Kingdom
Explore more key informationVisit official programme website
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
We are not aware of any English requirements for this programme.
- The course is designed for anyone with an interest in chemistry (a GCSE level of science is recommended), but will be particularly useful for sixth formers to aid the transition to study science at university.
- You can use the course to support your UCAS personal statement and prepare for university study, by broadening your chemistry knowledge and developing your independent learning skills.
Make sure you meet all requirementsVisit official programme website
InternationalFreeTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 0 USD for the full programme during 30 days.
NationalFreeTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 0 USD for the full programme during 30 days.
- Extra Benefits if you upgrade: From $74
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Double-check all feesVisit official programme website
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.