In this English Pronunciation in a Global World course from Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam by FutureLearn you will develop your ability to understand and speak English.
A huge range of people need to be able to speak English in today’s globalised world. This means that you’ll need to understand, and be understandable to, other non-native speakers. But diversity in spoken English should also be appreciated.
In this course you’ll find out which pronunciation features are important for mutual understanding. In exercises and video’s, you will practise English sounds and stresses, and learn about other learners’ accents.
By the end of the course, you‘ll be able to...
- Describe features of English pronunciation that are important for mutual understanding.
- Explain the differences between your own English pronunciation and that of speakers with other mother tongues.
- Apply what you have learned about English pronunciation to your English accent.
- Reflect on the nature of different English accents.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
Programme StructureWhat topics will you cover?
- The concepts of intelligibility, credibility, and identity in English pronunciation
- Personal goals for English pronunciation
- English vowels
- English consonants
- Suprasegmental features in English (stress, intonation, etc.)
- English accents
- English pronunciation assessment
- 30 days
- 3 hrs/week
Start dates & application deadlines
- StartingApply anytime.
DisciplinesLanguage Studies Languages View 45 other Short Courses in Languages in United Kingdom
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
We are not aware of any English requirements for this programme.
- This course is for anyone who needs to speak English, in their studies, for work or in their personal lives.
InternationalFreeTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 0 USD for the full programme during 30 days.
NationalFreeTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 0 USD for the full programme during 30 days.
- Extra Benefits if you upgrade: From $59
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last 6 months
Check the official programme website for potential updates.