Learn about the excavations of Star Carr, exploring what this site can tell us about where we came from, the origin of everyday things, and how much we have changed. The Exploring Stone Age Archaeology - The Mysteries of Star Carr course is offered at the University of York by FutureLearn .
Star Carr is one of Britain’s most important archaeological sites. Because of extraordinary conditions of survival, we have uncovered the oldest known house in Britain, the earliest evidence of carpentry in Europe and the oldest complete bow in the world. These and other discoveries help us interpret what life might have been like over 10,000 years ago.
By the end of the course, you‘ll be able to...
- Identify and understand the methods used on an archaeological excavation
- Evaluate how digital technology, scientific applications and experimental archaeology can be used to investigate the past
- Apply a range of evidence in order to debate how different artefacts might have been used
- Describe the site of Star Carr and the main discoveries made there
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
What topics will you cover?
- The excavations at Star Carr: highlighting how the site was discovered, what has been found and how excavations are undertaken, in order to convey the excitement of discovery.
- The use of stone: how hunter-gatherers used stone to create tools which were required for every aspect of their daily lives (their Swiss Army knife!)
- The use of plants: plants were used for everything from making fires to building houses.
- The use of animals: we explain what animals were in the landscape at that time and how people used them for food, skins for clothing and their bones for artefacts.
Check out the full curriculumVisit official programme website
- 1 months
- 4 hrs/week
Start dates & application deadlines
DisciplinesArchaeology Geology Ancient History View 5 other Short Courses in Archaeology in United Kingdom
Explore more key informationVisit official programme website
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
We are not aware of any English requirements for this programme.
- The course is for anyone with an interest in the past and archaeology, and particularly for people with no previous archaeological background who may be considering higher education study.
Make sure you meet all requirementsVisit official programme website
InternationalFreeTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 0 USD for the full programme during 1 months.
NationalFreeTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 0 USD for the full programme during 1 months.
- It's free to join and study this course, you have the option to upgrade and receive a digital and printed certificate for $64. Additional benefits can be reached via the Unlimited FutureLearn product.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Double-check all feesVisit official programme website
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.