The number of primary studies evaluating diagnostic tests is rising. Critically summarizing such studies in a systematic review is beneficial for health care professionals seeking the best evidence about the use of diagnostic tests. Reviews of diagnostic studies are more challenging because of more variation in questions & designs, specific sources of bias & variation, and the need to use more complex statistical approaches to meta-analysis. Several advances have recently been made in the methods to perform such reviews.
In this Systematic Reviews of Diagnostic Studies course from Utrecht University we discuss and practice the methods to assess the methodological quality of primary diagnostic test accuracy studies (QUADAS-2 instrument), the statistical models to meta-analyze the paired measures of test accuracy (bivariate meta-regression model of sensitivity and specificity), and how to critically read and interpret the findings of systematic review of diagnostic studies.
Programme StructureAt the end of the course, you should be able to:
- Appreciate the diversity of test usage and study designs
- Understand potential risk of bias and concerns regarding applicability
- Understand the concept underlying approaches to meta-analysis
- Explore heterogeneity and compare test accuracy
- Create different types of analysis
- Summarize results and draw appropriate conclusions
- 21 days
- 14 hrs/week
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesHuman Medicine Health Administration Health Sciences View 11 other Short Courses in Human Medicine in Netherlands
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
We are not aware of any English requirements for this programme.
To enroll in this course, you need:
- A BSc degree in biomedical sciences, pharmaceutical sciences, medicine or veterinary medicine, or a comparable degree in medical education
- Access to the program R
- To have participated in the course Advanced Diagnostic Research
- Sufficient proficiency in English reading and writing
International890 EUR/fullTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 890 EUR for the full programme during 21 days.
EU/EEA890 EUR/fullTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 890 EUR for the full programme during 21 days.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.