Typography is part science and part art and a failure to understand this can result in mediocre typographic expression at best or miscommunication at worst.
This course aims to provide you with the core principles of typography (the science) but also to inspire you to develop your typographic expression in the process (the art).
This course will be most beneficial for:
- Graphic design students
- Recent graduates who wish to improve their typography skills and knowledge
- Professionals working in publishing, advertising and communication
- Prospective graphic design/visual communication students
- Anyone seeking an opportunity to experiment without professional constraint
This course is delivered online, through live learning with self-directed work undertaken by participants between sessions. The course will run over four weeks, with two two-hour sessions each week.
Adrian Shaughnessy, Visiting Lecturer, Royal College of Art
- 8 days
- 4 hrs/week
Start dates & application deadlines
- StartingApplication deadline not specified.
- Fully structured
- Regular mandatory meetings
- Continuous support with feedback on request, Proactive tutoring and support
- Individual work/assignments (with online group discussions), Online group works/assignments
DisciplinesDesign Visual Arts Graphic Design View 91 other Short Courses in Design in United Kingdom
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
We are not aware of any English requirements for this programme.
It is preferable for participants to:
- have an undergraduate degree in a design or a demonstrably creative background
- be familiar with some of the industry-standard software packages (e.g. Adobe InDesign, Illustrator and Photoshop, FontLab, Glyphs, etc)
- use a desktop computer or laptop
- have a basic understanding of typography
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.