By the end of the course you will have: the tools you need to complete your play; tested and redrafted the structure of your plot; a developed breakdown of your characters’ story arc and conflicts they meet; and a fully written and analysed sequence of key scenes. You will also be introduced to the skills involved in redrafting your script and working with notes.
The Playwriting - Intermediate (online) programme is offered by The Royal Central School of Speech and Drama.
If you go on to complete your play in your own time once the course has been completed, for an additional fee, you can submit your completed play to the tutor for written feedback.
The course is led by a contemporary playwright.
- expanding your initial scene or treatment to several key scenes or more
- developing scenes with more than two characters and creating complex
- interactions and relationships
- challenging yourself to go bigger and be more ambitious in your writing - thinking beyond everyday lived experience towards exploring the greater and more expressive possibilities of theatre
- moving from cliché towards subtlety & nuance thus creating credibility in character, dialogue and story
- developing, redrafting and deepening your original idea, characterisations and character arcs
- exploring the structure of your play scene by scene for maximum effect
- crafting your unique voice as a writer
- organising your own readings, workshops and feedback sessions in the future
- how to submit work to theatre companies, agents and publishers
- 1 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- StartingApply anytime.
DisciplinesCreative Writing Theatre & Dance View 39 other Short Courses in Creative Writing in United Kingdom
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- The minimum age is 18 on the first day of the course. There is no upper age limit.
- Anyone who has written the first scene of a play on Central’s Playwriting: An Introduction online course who would like to develop their play further
- Anyone who has completed an introductory level course elsewhere and already has a partially completed play or detailed treatment that they would like to flesh out further
International275 GBP/fullTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 275 GBP for the full programme during 1 months.
National275 GBP/fullTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 275 GBP for the full programme during 1 months.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.