The Island Archaeology - Despotiko course at The University of Exeter will devote particular attention to the Sanctuary of Apollo on nearby Despotiko, where students will have the opportunity to excavate for two weeks and learn the basics of field archaeology. To place Parian achievements in context, we will visit museums in Naxos and Delos to compare the Archaic materials from these sites. The two-week course also comprises a series of thematic lectures that will acquaint students with broader themes of the Archaic period, helping to set the background to understand the Parian achievements within the broad context of Greece.
work closely with archaeologists and practitioners archaeological training
applying theoretical and scientific principles to archaeological problems
post-excavation and lab techniques,
applying statistical and numerical techniques,
interoperation of spatial data
presentation by the conservators
drawing of archaeological remains and artefacts
lectures on the history of the Cyclades, Paros and the site at Despotiko
trips to other islands, museums and other points of interest
- 16 days
Start dates & application deadlines
- StartingApply anytime.
DisciplinesEarth Sciences Archaeology Geography View 11 other Short Courses in Earth Sciences in United Kingdom
We are not aware of any specific GRE, GMAT or GPA grading score requirements for this programme.
- Please ensure you choose the right age at the top of the page as it will filter out options based on your answer to the question.
- If you are at university or studying at university level but under the age of 18, please enter the following answer at the top of the page 'No, but I will be 18 by the start of the programme' regardless of whether you will be 18 and then ensure you enter your correct date of birth on the application form. Once you have submitted your application form, we will then be in touch to discuss whether the programme will be suitable for you.
- Ensure your full name is exactly as printed on your passport.
- All applications must use the English alphabet at all times.
- Double check your email address as we are unable to contact you if this is incorrect.
- Ensure that your address is not a temporary university residence or please notify us if your address is due to change over the summer.
International3000 GBP/fullTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 3000 GBP for the full programme during 16 days.
National3000 GBP/fullTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 3000 GBP for the full programme during 16 days.
- includes accommodation, dinner on site, travel from London and all cultural activities
Living costs for Exeter
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.