Through 3–4 study hours per unit you’ll learn the essentials of reading, writing, speaking and listening through a variety of online activities. You will learn to order food or talk about the activities you like to do. A perfect online short course to develop further the skills needed to speak and understand simple Chinese in everyday contexts!
This course teaches Mandarin Chinese and simplified characters.
After successfully completing this short course, you will receive a digital badge. This can be shared on social media, added to email signatures or act as a certificate.
You will learn
After completing this Beginners Chinese 2 course at The Open University UK, you should be able to:
- communicate with speakers of Chinese in a limited range of predictable and simple contexts relating to everyday situations
- use the romanised alphabetical system Hanyu pinyin, which is used to indicate the pronunciation of Mandarin Chinese
- learn the strokes, the stroke order, and the basic structures of Chinese characters
- recognise 100-150 of the most frequently used words in pinyin or/and characters and be able to Word-process or handwrite them.
The course is designed to help you achieve a level of language proficiency equivalent to level A1 of the Council of Europe Common European Framework of Reference for languages (CEFR).
This short course is designed to continue giving you a solid introduction to the Chinese language. You’ll learn the essentials of reading, writing, speaking and listening in Chinese. You’ll also develop key skills that will enhance your future study of the language.
Delivered through user-friendly, ‘bite-sized’ blocks, in each unit you’ll discover basic vocabulary and set phrases. Audio material, featuring recordings by native speakers of Chinese, and a wide variety of speaking activities will aid your pronunciation. Throughout the course you’ll build up your own Chinese phrase book covering varied topics such as:
- talking about learning languages
- how to ask ‘what’ and ‘where’ questions
- talking about leisure activities such as TV and sports
- talking about the future
- how to order or offer food and drinks
- expressing likes and dislikes.
- 4 months
- 3 hrs/week
Start dates & application deadlines
- Start: At anytime before registration end date
- Registration closes 31 December
DisciplinesAsian studies View 11 other Short Courses in Asian studies in United Kingdom
We are not aware of any specific GRE, GMAT or GPA grading score requirements for this programme.
We are not aware of any English requirements for this programme.
- There are no entry requirements for this course.
- It would be beneficial to have some prior knowledge of Mandarin Chinese, similar to the language, skills and vocabulary practised in Beginners Chinese 1: 开始吧 kāishĭ ba! (LGXC001) or an equivalent course.
International195 GBP/fullTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 195 GBP for the full programme during 4 months.
National195 GBP/fullTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 195 GBP for the full programme during 4 months.