You’ll learn to express your opinions on everything from the weather to what is important to you in life. You’ll also learn how to deal with everyday situations of mounting complexity. Grammar is explained in plain English and there are lots of opportunities to practise using tenses, correct endings and word order. You’ll also deepen your awareness of the cultural diversity of German-speaking countries.
After successfully completing this Elementary German 2 course at The Open University UK, you will receive a digital badge. This can be shared on social media, added to email signatures or act as a certificate.
You will learn
After completing this course, you should be able to:
- communicate in increasingly complex situations, for example, knowing what to do if you lose something valuable, and how to complain about poor service, understand train announcements, and deal with disruption to your travel plans and problems when driving
- express your opinions on a variety of themes and topics, such as lifestyle, daily routines, leisure activities, landscapes and geography, and travelling
- talk about past events, using the perfect tense and imperfect tense, where appropriate
- understand statistical information and make comparisons
- improve your German pronunciation and intonation
- enhance your intercultural understanding through engaging with learning materials which reflect German-speaking countries and their people and through learning about places and sightseeing in Germany, Austria, and Switzerland. For example, you will look in depth at things like changes in family life and population structure, how life in the countryside has changed and some important German writers.
The course is designed to help you achieve a level of language proficiency equivalent to level A1 of the Council of Europe Common European Framework of Reference for languages (CEFR).
- Almost 100 million people speak German as their main language. Most of them live in Germany, Austria and Switzerland, making German one of the most widely used languages in Europe. Now associated with economic success, science and technology, German also has a long-standing reputation as the language of poets and thinkers.
- Elementary Germany 2: sprich weiter! offers you an excellent opportunity to develop your knowledge of the German language. You’ll continue to develop the essentials of speaking, listening, reading and writing in German. You’ll also improve your key skills that will enhance your future study of the language.
- The course is delivered in 16 user-friendly, ‘bite-sized’ units, each comprising 3–4 hours study. You can study these at your own pace, to fit in with your own schedule and lifestyle.
- 2 months
- 3 hrs/week
Start dates & application deadlines
- Start: At anytime before registration end date
- Registration closes 31 December
DisciplinesGerman and Scandinavian studies View 8 other Short Courses in German and Scandinavian studies in United Kingdom
We are not aware of any specific GRE, GMAT or GPA grading score requirements for this programme.
We are not aware of any English requirements for this programme.
- There are no entry requirements for this course.
- However, it's beneficial if you have some basic knowledge of German, similar or equivalent to the language, skills and vocabulary practised in Beginners German 1: fang an! (LGXG001), Beginners German 2: mit vergnügen! (LGXG002), Beginners German 3: richtig so! (LGXG003), and/or Elementary German 1: sprechen und verstehen (LGXG004).
International195 GBP/fullTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 195 GBP for the full programme during 2 months.
National195 GBP/fullTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 195 GBP for the full programme during 2 months.