- It is well known that water treatment at household level can lead to dramatic improvements in drinking water quality. But does Household Water Treatment and Safe Storage (HWTS) also have a global relevance? What are the potential solution methods and how do they function? Is there a standard strategy for successful HWTS-implementation or can we identify key components which make programs more likely to succeed?
- In this course, you will learn about the public health impacts of unsafe drinking water and about different methods to treat water at household level. The course takes a closer look at the roles of different stakeholders, such as governments, private sector, and NGOs. How can HWTS reach the most vulnerable populations at scale? And how can the impact of HWTS be measured?
- The MOOC “Introduction to Household Water Treatment and Safe Storage” will answer these questions with a series of concrete examples from Africa, Asia and Latin America.
- The course will be in English with French and Spanish subtitles.
- The class will consist of lecture videos, which are between 5 and 15 minutes in length. These contain 1-2 integrated quiz questions per video. There will also be standalone homeworks that are not part of video lectures, and a final exam. Homeworks and final exam will be in English.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
Programme StructureCourse Syllabus
- Household Water Treatment and Safe Storage
- HWTS treatment options
- Implementation strategies for HWTS
- Monitoring and Evaluating HWTS.
- 35 days
Start dates & application deadlines
DisciplinesHydrology & Water Management
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- This course is an introduction – there is no particular technical or scientific background required. We are mainly targeting students at the graduate or post-graduate level, but the only course requirement is an interest in drinking water quality.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last 6 months
Check the official programme website for potential updates.