Founded in 1895 as Peiyang University, Tianjin University’s 121-year history is the epitome of the progress of modern Chinese higher education, embodying the Chinese people’s indomitability through challenging times.
Located in Peiyang Park Campus, Zheng Dong Library was designed by Tianjin University alumni, Zhou Kai and his team. He was also the chief Chinese architect of Beijing Olympic Park. On the occasion of the 120 year anniversary of Tianjin University, Zheng Dong, who was admitted to TJU in 1988, donated RMB 50,000,000 to the education fund as a gift.
The Main Building in TJU Peiyang Campus is designed by Cui Kai and his team, a member of the China Engineering Academy, who was admitted to TJU in 1981 and once served as the Chinese chief planner of Olympic venues. The design concept of the main building is open. The building and square library together form a layout of “round sky and square land", thus “echoing each other at a distance”in space.
Tianjin University organizes extracurricular activities for all the students from over 20 colleges as well as supervises and guides more than 30 student sport associations. Also Tianjin University undertakes training, management and competition work for four high-level sport teams and twelve ordinary student teams.
There are a total of more than 300 student associations at school-level and college-level in TJU which include 50 function-oriented school-level associations and 80 interest-oriented school-level associations.
In 2003 the company has passed the ISO9001 quality management system certification and accreditation mandatory