The course prepares you well for writing a PhD thesis and for other research projects in your future professional life. You will learn to develop comprehensive strategies to find useful and relevant information without getting lost and losing too much time. You will also learn how to evaluate the found information, how to cite sources correctly and avoid plagiarism, and how to manage references with EndNote.
The course runs for 1.5 days and consists of lectures and practical assignments. You will also receive individual instruction and help to develop a balanced search plan. The plan will be useful throughout your PhD.
The course is open to all PhD candidates and postdocs, but the primary target group is beginning PhD candidates who have not previously followed an information literacy course during their studies.
After this Searching and Organising Literature is offered at Wageningen University and Research you will be able to:
- identify your information needs and information sources for your PhD research or another scientific project;
- formulate a focused research question for a literature search and a strategy to prepare a systematic search;
- construct a systematic search for various databases and platforms and use relevant articles to find additional information;
- evaluate the search results, revise the search if necessary, and determine when to stop searching;
- store and organise information systematically and transparently, keep track of the search process and stay up to date with new information on your topic;
- cite and reference literature and data correctly to avoid plagiarism.
- Locating and getting the full text of known items
- Customizing My Library
- Finding information and literature databases on different platforms
- Developing search strategies and search queries
- Setting up alerts for databases
- Citing and referencing literature
- Searching and citing data
- 2 days
Start dates & application deadlines
- StartingApply anytime.
- StartingApply anytime.
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
We are not aware of any English requirements for this programme.
- The course is set up for PhD-students and postdocs.
International560 EUR/fullTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 560 EUR for the full programme during 2 days.
EU/EEA560 EUR/fullTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 560 EUR for the full programme during 2 days.
- PhD candidates of Wageningen University: € 140
- All other PhD candidates / post-docs and staff of Wageningen University € 280
- All other participants € 560
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.