Food plays a central role in our society but few people actually understand what it does to our bodies. Learn more about nutrition and how our diet profoundly impacts our current and future health. This introductory nutrition course addresses the relationship between nutrition and human health with a focus on health problems related to overnutrition.
In this Nutrition and Health - Macronutrients and Overnutrition course offered by EdX in partnership with Wageningen University and Research - WageningenX, Professor Sander Kersten from Wageningen University will introduce you to the chemistry of the three macronutrients fat, carbohydrate and protein.
You will learn how macronutrients are absorbed, stored, and metabolized for energy, and you will gain a contemporary view of how different types of fats, carbohydrates and proteins affect human health. Moreover, the course will cover energy homeostasis and the regulation of bodyweight, and provides ample coverage of the topic of obesity. Finally, it will make you familiar with nutritional research and research methodologies.
What you'll learn
- Introduction to the field of food and nutritionComposition of foods
- Basic chemistry of carbohydrates, fat and protein
- How macronutrients are absorbed, stored and metabolized
- How macronutrients may impact health
- How to better weigh and interpret the information overload about nutrition and health
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Module 1: Basic Principles
- Module 2: Carbohydrates
- Module 3: Carbohydrates and Health (verified learner only)
- Module 4: Lipids
- Module 5: Lipids and Health (verified learner only)
- Module 6: Proteins and Health
- Module 7: Energy homeostasis sand energy balance
- Module 8: Weight management
- Module 9: Nutrition and Sports (verified learner only)
Check out the full curriculumVisit official programme website
- 63 days
- 6 hrs/week
Start dates & application deadlines
- StartingApply anytime.
DisciplinesNutrition & Dietetics Health Management Health Sciences View 10 other Short Courses in Health Management in Netherlands
Explore more key informationVisit official programme website
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
We are not aware of any English requirements for this programme.
- Basic biology
Make sure you meet all requirementsVisit official programme website
Add a Verified Certificate for $199 USD
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Double-check all feesVisit official programme website
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.