In this Introduction to Self-Determination Theory - An approach to motivation, development and wellness offered by Coursera in partnership with University of Rochester, Professor Richard Ryan, co-founder of the theory, will provide an overview of SDT with special emphasis on how autonomy, competence, and relatedness supports and facilitates behavioral persistence, quality of relationships, and healthy developmental processes, among other topics.
He will also discuss the convergence of behavioral phenomenological and neuropsychological aspects of autonomy within SDT research. In addition, he will illustrate practical applications of SDT, with emphasis on educational, work, sport, healthcare and psychotherapy settings.
Get more detailsVisit programme website
- Week 1 begins with an introduction and overview of Self-Determination Theory (SDT).
- Week 2 focuses on two additional mini-theories within SDT: Organismic Integration Theory (OIT) and Basic Psychological Needs Theory (BPNT).
- Week 3 delves deeper into people’s well-being and life goals…examining what makes us happier from one day to the next.
- Module 4 focuses on the importance of basic psychological need fulfillment in several areas of life.
- Module 5 focuses on the application of SDT in several different domains.
Check out the full curriculumVisit programme website
- 1 months
Start dates & application deadlines
DisciplinesPsychology Public Health Health Sciences View 119 other Short Courses in Public Health in United States
Explore more key informationVisit programme website
We are not aware of any specific GRE, GMAT or GPA grading score requirements for this programme.
We are not aware of any English requirements for this programme.
- Beginner Level
Make sure you meet all requirementsVisit programme website
InternationalFreeTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 0 USD for the full programme during 1 months.
NationalFreeTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 0 USD for the full programme during 1 months.
You can choose from hundreds of free courses, or get a degree or certificate at a breakthrough price. You can now select Coursera Plus, an annual subscription that provides unlimited access.
Coursera provides financial aid to learners who cannot afford the fee. Apply for it by clicking on the Financial Aid link beneath the "Enroll" button on the left. You’ll be prompted to complete an application and will be notified if you are approved.