In our modern technologically-based economy, the creation and enforcement of patent rights can make or break a business. With record numbers of patents being issued every year, the stakes for inventors (and, indeed, their lawyers) continue to rise, even as the patent law and its administration faces growing criticism.
This Patent Law offered by Coursera in partnership with University of Pennsylvania begins with an examination of the fundamental justifications for and creation of U.S. patent rights as well as the relationship between patent law and other “intellectual property” concepts. We will then delve into the details of the U.S. requirements for patentability, and explore the scope of patent rights, again considering how the policies expressed reflect the justifications for patent rights. Then we will look at an actual patent document and analyze the different pieces of an issued patent with a special focus on the importance of patent claims. Finally, we will explore strategies for dealing with patent infringement.
What You Will Learn
- Explain the scope and limits of patent protection
- Analyze and apply the standards of patentability to navigate the requirements of patent law.
- Interpret the importance and significance of specific patent claims presented in an issued patent
- Develop strategies for addressing patent infringement
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- What is Patent Law?
- The Scope of a Patent
- Patent Enforcement
Details on Coursera Plus:
- Learn Anything: Explore any interest or trending topic, take prerequisites, and advance your skills
- Save money: Spend less money on your learning if you plan to take multiple courses this year
- Flexible Learning: Learn at your own pace, move between multiple courses, or switch to a different course
- Unlimited Certificates: Earn a certificate for every learning program that you complete at no additional cost
Check out the full curriculumVisit official programme website
- 1 months
Start dates & application deadlines
DisciplinesInternational Law Criminal Law Legal Studies View 5 other Short Courses in International Law in United States
Explore more key informationVisit official programme website
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
We are not aware of any English requirements for this programme.
Make sure you meet all requirementsVisit official programme website
InternationalFreeTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 0 USD for the full programme during 1 months.
NationalFreeTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 0 USD for the full programme during 1 months.
You can choose from hundreds of free courses, or get a degree or certificate at a breakthrough price. You can now select Coursera Plus, an annual subscription that provides unlimited access.
Coursera provides financial aid to learners who cannot afford the fee. Apply for it by clicking on the Financial Aid link beneath the "Enroll" button on the left. You'll be prompted to complete an application and will be notified if you are approved. You'll need to complete this step for each course in the Specialization, including the Capstone Project.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Double-check all feesVisit official programme website
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.