Dementia is one of the foremost priorities in global health and is estimated to affect over 44 million people worldwide. This has a huge impact on individuals and on society, so improvements in understanding, care and treatments are desperately needed. In this online course, you’ll discover key issues in dementia care and research.
You’ll explore four less common forms of dementia, through the eyes of people affected by them. World-leading experts at UCL will show how research into the signs, stages, symptoms and causes of these forms can bring us closer to defeating dementia.
By the end of The Many Faces of Dementia course from UCL by FutureLearn , you'll be able to:
- Identify the range of symptoms that people experience as a result of less-common dementia diagnoses.
- Explain how diagnoses of dementia differ in terms of the parts of the brain affected and the causes of changes in the brain.
- Reflect upon the experience of people who are given a diagnosis of dementia.
- Explore the role of scientific research in furthering our ability to care for and treat people with dementia.
- Apply this knowledge to develop a broader understanding of the symptoms and experiences of people with more common forms of dementia.
- Evaluate your own views and experiences, in comparison to those expressed by others.
This course has been certified by the CPD Certification Service as conforming to continuing professional development principles.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
What topics will you cover?
This course covered four less common diagnoses of dementia, the people involved and the implications of these for our wider understanding. Core topics included:
- the symptoms and science behind familial Alzheimer’s disease
- behavioural variant frontotemporal dementia
- dementia with Lewy bodies and posterior cortical atrophy.
Check out the full curriculumVisit official programme website
- 1 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- No Attendance
- Proactive tutoring and support
- Individual work/assignments (with online group discussions)
DisciplinesPsychology Human Medicine Clinical Psychology View 123 other Short Courses in Psychology in United Kingdom
Explore more key informationVisit official programme website
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
We are not aware of any English requirements for this programme.
Make sure to cover your health, travel, and stay while studying abroad. Even global coverages can miss important items, so make sure your student insurance ticks all the following:
- Additional medical costs (i.e. dental)
- Repatriation, if something happens to you or your family
- Home contents and baggage
- Legal aid
We partnered with Aon to provide you with the best affordable student insurance, for a carefree experience away from home.Get your student insurance now
Start from €0.53/day, free cancellation any time.
Remember, countries and universities may have specific insurance requirements. To learn more about how student insurance work at FutureLearn and/or in United Kingdom, please visit Student Insurance Portal.
The only requirement is an interest in dementia, its effects on people and the brain.
We hope that this course will be of particular interest to:
- Anyone who works with people diagnosed with dementia
- People who have a friend or family member who has dementia
- People in the early stages of the disease
- Students with an interest in learning more about dementia
Make sure you meet all requirementsVisit official programme website
InternationalFreeTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 0 USD per year during 1 months.
NationalFreeTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 0 USD per year during 1 months.
It's free to join and study this course, you have the option to upgrade and receive a digital and printed certificate for $74. Additional benefits can be reached via the Unlimited FutureLearn product.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Double-check all feesVisit official programme website
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.