Projects are all around us. Virtually every organisation runs projects, either formally or informally. In this course you will learn planning principles and execution methods so your projects can be run more effectively and efficiently at work and in daily life. You’ll discover the language and frameworks for scoping projects, sequencing activities, utilizing resources, and minimizing risks.
You also have the chance to earn professional development units (PDUs) as the University of Virginia Darden School of Business is approved by the Project Management Institute (PMI®).
By the end of the Fundamentals of Project Planning and Management course from Darden School of Business by FutureLearn , you'll be able to:
- Describe how to initiate a project by defining the project goal, identifying the priorities, and establishing the organization.
- Explain how to develop a project plan by identifying the scope, task dependencies, schedule, critical path, and risks.
- Identify factors that lead to project success.
- Describe the four stages of the project-life-cycle and the role each stage has in the evolution of a project.
- Explain how to execute a project by monitoring the progress, communicating with stakeholders, and deciding how to correct and control.
- Develop an awareness of some behavioral biases in project settings and identify how these impact the planning and execution of a project.
- Develop the language and mindset for planning and managing projects by properly setting and prioritizing project goals and objectives.
- Identify the most appropriate project management methodology given the project objectives, the degrees of uncertainty, and the constraints.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
What topics will you cover?
- What a project is, what it is not, and why that matters.
- How projects are defined and a project’s three objectives.
- Models for examining a project’s organization and its stakeholders.
- Reasons why projects fail and how to measure success.
- Key stages in the project life-cycle and the features of each.
- Why we plan and how to develop a project plan.
- Process of scoping.
- Tools that can help us identify what should be included in a project.
- Sequencing project tasks and the nature of dependencies among project activities.
- Determine a project’s duration and critical path.
- Schedule a project and making changes to a plan.
- Identify and assess project risks.
- Prioritize and schedule project risks.
- Setting a project budget.
- Execution phase of a project.
- Earned value approach for monitoring and controlling progress.
- How habits of individuals executing the project can impact progress.
Check out the full curriculumVisit official programme website
- 1 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- StartingApply anytime.
- No Attendance
- Proactive tutoring and support
- Individual work/assignments (with online group discussions)
DisciplinesProject Management Management, Organisation & Leadership Strategic Management View 196 other Short Courses in Management, Organisation & Leadership in United Kingdom
Explore more key informationVisit official programme website
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
We are not aware of any English requirements for this programme.
- This course is for anyone interested in ensuring their projects run smoothly.
- You don’t need any prior experience.
Make sure you meet all requirementsVisit official programme website
InternationalFreeTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 0 USD per year during 1 months.
NationalFreeTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 0 USD per year during 1 months.
It's free to join and study this course, you have the option to upgrade and receive a digital and printed certificate for $64. Additional benefits can be reached via the Unlimited FutureLearn product.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Double-check all feesVisit official programme website
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.