Top chefs and Harvard researchers explore how everyday cooking and haute cuisine can illuminate basic principles in chemistry, physics, and engineering. Learn about food molecules and how chemical reactions can affect food texture and flavor.
During each module of this Science and Cooking - From Haute Cuisine to Soft Matter Science (chemistry) course from Harvard University - HarvardX, chefs reveal the secrets behind some of their most famous culinary creations — often right in their own restaurants. Inspired by such cooking mastery, the Harvard team will then explain the science behind the recipe.
Topics will include:
- How molecules influence flavor
- The role of heat in cooking
- Diffusion, revealed by the phenomenon of spherification, the culinary technique pioneered by Ferran Adrià.
What you'll learn
- The scientific concepts that underlie everyday cooking and haute cuisine techniques;
- How to apply principles of physics, engineering, and chemistry to cooking;
- How to become an experimental scientist in your own kitchen;
- How to think like a chef AND a scientist.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Module 1: Molecules, moles, flavor, and pH
- Module 2: Energy, temperature, and heat
- Module 3: Phase transitions
- Module 4: Diffusion and Spherification
- Module 5: Heat Transfer
- Module 6: Candy
Check out the full curriculumVisit official programme website
- 3 months
- 2 hrs/week
Start dates & application deadlines
DisciplinesChemistry Food Sciences Culinary Arts View 14 other Short Courses in Chemistry in United States
Explore more key informationVisit official programme website
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
We are not aware of any English requirements for this programme.
- Basic mathematics concepts (arithmetic, algebra, geometry)
Make sure you meet all requirementsVisit official programme website
Add a Verified Certificate for $169 USD
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Double-check all feesVisit official programme website
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.