The early modern period was an exciting time for invention and innovation. On this course, you’ll explore book production using examples from Trinity College Dublin and the Edward Worth Library, Dublin.
During The History of the Book in the Early Modern Period - 1450 to 1800 at FutureLearn you’ll discover how books were made, bound and illustrated, and will study rare treasures including the engravings of Anthony Van Dyck, and early editions of Aesop’s Fables.
You’ll also consider how books were read and how the invention of printing impacted on religion, medicine, science and politics.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
Programme StructureWhat topics will you cover?
- Week 1: How books were made in Western Europe (1450-1800) (designing types, illustrating, sewing, binding, and finishing books).
- Week 2: How books were sold in Western Europe (1450-1800) (bestsellers, collectors, advertising and book auctions).
- Week 3: How books were read in Western Europe (1450-1800) (books and readers, families libraries, and annotating books).
- Week 4: How books changed the world (1450-1800) (reforming religion, transforming medicine and science, and remaking the state).
Check out the full curriculumVisit official programme website
- 1 months
- 3 hrs/week
Start dates & application deadlines
DisciplinesHistory Ancient History Modern History View 34 other Short Courses in History in United Kingdom
Explore more key informationVisit official programme website
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
We are not aware of any English requirements for this programme.
- This course is for anyone interested in bookselling, book history and book design.
- This may include collectors, dealers, artists, or anyone with a passion for reading and learning.
- This course uses a large number of images and image databases for learners to explore. We have included text descriptions for these images to make the course as accessible as possible.
Make sure you meet all requirementsVisit official programme website
InternationalFreeTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 0 EUR per year during 1 months.
NationalFreeTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 0 EUR per year during 1 months.
Upgrade$59Upgrade this course and you will get:
- Access to this course for as long as it’s on FutureLearn
- A print and digital Certificate of Achievement once you’re eligible
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Double-check all feesVisit official programme website
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.