About the course
This specialised course has been developed by ICEP Europe in collaboration with a panel of educators and other practitioners working in the field of learning disabilities. Students with general learning disabilities (GLD) comprise the largest group with additional learning needs in schools today. They may have a recognized disability, such as Fragile X, Down syndrome, or the cause may be unknown as is the case for many students with mild GLD. Intellectual, social and adaptive functioning mature at a slower rate and self-esteem can also be an issue.The main focus of the General Learning Disabilities course of the Institute of Child Education and Psychology Europe is to build the capacity of educators to provide quality educational experiences to support students with GLD. This means creating inclusive learning environments and providing differentiated instruction that builds on each child’s strengths and talents. From the developmental implications of various general learning disabilities, to specific strategies for enhancing teaching and learning across the age range, this practical course will boost your knowledge and confidence and give you an in-depth understanding of effective instructional approaches, differentiation, behaviour support, collaboration and individual educational planning for students with GLD.
- Taking a developmental perspective, this course looks in detail at the areas of language, communication, social, emotional, and academic skills as they arise in children with GLD and how these impact on school performance. Drawing on international best practice and the latest research, this course offers you a wealth of practical resources, lesson plans and teaching techniques for addressing barriers to learning and participation.
- You will acquire a working knowledge of specific teaching strategies in the areas of numeracy, literacy, language and communication, motor skills, and social and emotional skills. In addition, you will be encouraged to develop and implement best practice approaches and policies at the level of the classroom and in your own school in relation to supporting children with GLD.
- 2 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- StartingApply anytime.
This course has four terms each year, Spring, May/June, Summer & Autumn.
- Fully structured
- No Attendance
- Continuous support with feedback on request
- Online group works/assignments
DisciplinesTeaching View 7 other Short Courses in Teaching in Ireland
We are not aware of any specific GRE, GMAT or GPA grading score requirements for this programme.
We are not aware of any English requirements for this programme.
- This course is aimed at teachers and others with a professional interest in general learning disabilities. It may also be helpful for parents interested in learning about appropriate educational provision for their own children
- Upon completion of the course you will receive a Certificate of Continuing Professional Development and a Learning Log of your work, which can be included in your CPD portfolio.
International150 EUR/fullTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 150 EUR for the full programme during 2 months.
EU/EEA150 EUR/fullTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 150 EUR for the full programme during 2 months.