In a globalizing world, health challenges transcend national boundaries and are becoming more complex. To face these challenges, including those posed by pandemics like COVID-19 and HIV/AIDS, we need a two-way flow of resources, expertise and know-how between developed and developing countries, involving stakeholders from different scientific disciplines. Only a combined learning process of this kind has the potential to generate effective, innovative solutions to global health issues and to create equitable health systems around the world.
At the end of this Global Health course from Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam, you:
- Gain a critical knowledge of local and global health issues.
- Can take an interdisciplinary apporoach to health and disease-related problems around the world.
- Possess the skills needed to collaborate with peers from different disciplines.
- Know how to obtain reliable and critical data to develop a topic for discussion.
- Possess the skills needed debate topics related to global health.
- This course will provide you with in-depth insights into the growing complexity of the burden of disease, particularly in low and middle-income countries, as well as the main challenges surrounding health systems, infectious and non-communicable conditions, and child and reproductive health.
- It will equip you with a critical and holistic view of these challenges, as well as potential solutions.
Students and professionals with a science background and an interest in complex health problems in an international context.
- 11 days
Start dates & application deadlines
Early Bird Deadline: 15 March
DisciplinesInternational Development Health Administration Health Sciences View 34 other Short Courses in Health Sciences in Netherlands
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
Make sure to cover your health, travel, and stay while studying abroad. Even global coverages can miss important items, so make sure your student insurance ticks all the following:
- Additional medical costs (i.e. dental)
- Repatriation, if something happens to you or your family
- Home contents and baggage
- Legal aid
We partnered with Aon to provide you with the best affordable student insurance, for a carefree experience away from home.Get your student insurance now
Start from €0.53/day, free cancellation any time.
Remember, countries and universities may have specific insurance requirements. To learn more about how student insurance work at Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam and/or in Netherlands, please visit Student Insurance Portal.
- Who can join? Students and professionals with a science background and an interest in complex health problems in an international context. This course is multi-disciplinary and is therefore open to learners from a wide variety of backgrounds.
- It is not necessary to provide us with proof of your English. We do expect your English to be sufficient to understand classes and course literature.
International950 EUR/fullTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 950 EUR for the full programme during 11 days.
EU/EEA950 EUR/fullTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 950 EUR for the full programme during 11 days.
- VU Students/PhD candidates and employees of VU Amsterdam* or an Aurora Network Partner: €650
- Students at Partner Universities of VU Amsterdam: €500
- Students and PhD candidates at non-partner universities of VU Amsterdam : €950
- Professionals: €1150
Living costs for Amsterdam
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
If you have been accepted to VU Amsterdam Summer School and have paid the tuition fee, but due to unforeseen circumstances need to cancel, the following refunds will be given:
- Cancellation before 1 May: 100% of total fee will be refunded
- Cancellation before 1 June: 50% of total fee will be refunded
- Cancellation after 1 June: no refund will be given
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.