Statistics is the science of turning data into insights and ultimately decisions. Behind recent advances in machine learning, data science and artificial intelligence are fundamental statistical principles.
The purpose of this class is to develop and understand these core ideas on firm mathematical grounds starting from the construction of estimators and tests, as well as an analysis of their asymptotic performance.
After developing basic tools to handle parametric models, we will explore how to answer more advanced questions, such as the following:
- How suitable is a given model for a particular dataset?
- How to select variables in linear regression?
- How to model nonlinear phenomena?
- How to visualize high-dimensional data?
What you'll learn
- Construct estimators using method of moments and maximum likelihood, and decide how to choose between them
- Quantify uncertainty using confidence intervals and hypothesis testing
- Choose between different models using goodness of fit test
- Make prediction using linear, nonlinear and generalized linear models
- Perform dimension reduction using principal component analysis (PCA)
- 4 months
- 10 hrs/week
Start dates & application deadlines
DisciplinesMathematics Applied Mathematics Machine Learning View 297 other Short Courses in Machine Learning in United States
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
We are not aware of any English requirements for this programme.
- 6.431x or equivalent probability theory course
- College-level single and multi-variable calculus
- Vectors and matrices
InternationalFreeTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 0 EUR for the full programme during 4 months.
NationalFreeTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 0 EUR for the full programme during 4 months.
Add a Verified Certificate for $300 USD
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.