Communication across language and culture is necessary for many professions. You may face communication barriers when talking to people who speak different varieties of English, or who don’t share your life experiences.
On this Communicating with Diverse Audiences course from University of Surrey by FutureLearn , you will learn to make conscious decisions about how you build cross-cultural relationships. You will understand how culture and different varieties of English can pose challenges to understanding.
This course will help you to interpret different communicative behaviours so that you can build useful communicating strategies, and avoid communication bias.
By the end of the course, you'll be able to:
- Describe the layers and facets of culture and of other possible influences on communication practices
- Assess which factors influence how they and others communicate
- Reflect critically on their own and others' communicative behaviours to avoid unconscious bias
- Describe different varieties of English and reflect critically on their own position as an English speaker
- Apply a range of new strategies to establish rapport and achieve desired goals
- Explain how language can be used to build interpersonal relationships
- Evaluate the effectiveness of their communicative repertoire
This course has been certified by the CPD Certification Service as conforming to continuing professional development principles
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
What topics will you cover?
During this course you will cover the following subjects:
- Week 1: The role of culture and language in communication
- Week 2: Language and unconscious bias
- Week 3: Using English as a lingua franca with speakers from different linguistic backgrounds
- Week 4: Using language to establish interpersonal relationships
Check out the full curriculumVisit official programme website
- 1 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- No Attendance
- Proactive tutoring and support
- Individual work/assignments (with online group discussions)
DisciplinesCommunication Sciences International Relations Corporate Communication View 7 other Short Courses in Corporate Communication in United Kingdom
Explore more key informationVisit official programme website
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
We are not aware of any English requirements for this programme.
This course is designed for professionals looking to improve their ability to communicate across linguistic and cultural boundaries.
Make sure you meet all requirementsVisit official programme website
InternationalFreeTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 0 USD per year during 1 months.
NationalFreeTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 0 USD per year during 1 months.
It's free to join and study this course, you have the option to upgrade and receive a digital and printed certificate for $54. Additional benefits can be reached via the Unlimited FutureLearn product.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Double-check all feesVisit official programme website
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.